Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support
Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support
Home | Profile | Register | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 JABS Forum
 Experience and Support
 Medical record missing after mmr blunder

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Janet Posted - 01/09/2008 : 13:30:52
Hi all,

Sometime ago I made an enquiry to access my child's medical record and found out it was not as easy as I first thought. Anyway last month I finally got see what should have been the record but found myself staring at an almost empty folder with just a standard white print out and no mention of an "Autism" diagnoses

Here's the story....

In 2002 I changed GP following medical negligence involving MMR and a malicious cover up, engineered by my former doctor. After making some enquiries, I know the medical record was emptied before the transfer to my current surgery -I have often heard about records in hospitals disappearing but never within a GP surgery. Since last month I have asked around and received an interesting response but failed to find anyone who has been in a similar situation.

My former GP's actions has furthered the mistrust over MMR and hope one day to tell this Twit -I would have settled for a simple apology. Meanwhile I have to decide what to do next bearing in mind the appalling deceit and corruption within the system.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Janet
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
aobbard Posted - 01/16/2008 : 21:41:13
I phoned the Occupational Dept up and the nurse was quite pleasant and very interested. I was then rung back the following day by the Sister who was quite rude to me. She told me there was no way records would still be there as they are destroyed after 10 yrs. She made me feel I had no right to be phoning them. It was after this that I rang my GP practice & the nurse looked through my records & found nothing. This is when she rang Glaxo to find if the Engerix B vaccines contained Thiomersal. I then wrote to Glaxo to see if I could find what effect the vaccines would have had on a person already sensitised as I was since I had worked with mercury and had my own fillings. The letter I received was quite unhelpful though they did say they took it very seriously and any further communication would have to be via my GP. They enclosed a consent form for me to sign to take it further. I did not trust them so have not done this. Their admission that the vaccines could have been harmful is written in my GP notes by the nurse.
I did contact a few lawyers none of whom were interested since too much time has passed since the vaccines.
Adrienne.
Janet Posted - 01/13/2008 : 20:55:55
Hi Adrienne,

I take it you never received a record card/slip following the Hep B jabs. Have you checked your medical record? I noticed the white print out in my daughter's folder contained a list of all the vaccines she was given from 1997. However I am pleased to hear this forum has helped you, do pursue the matter as far as possible with or without the proof.

Would those with their noses in the trough settle for this injustice? - I think not.
aobbard Posted - 01/13/2008 : 08:05:45
Hi,
Just thought I'd add to this interesting topic re my 3 Hep B jabs when I was nursing at a hospital in 1990. I have had cfs symptoms ever since. Only recently (esp with the help of this wonderful site) do I discover that mercury has played a huge part in this and that in fact I have had "subclinical hypothyroidism" all this time. Even though Glaxo have admitted that the vaccines contained thiomersal and that it could have sensitised me I do not even have proof that I actually had these vaccines.
Occupational Health destroy all records after 10 years. This should be a crime in itself.
Adrienne.
Janet Posted - 01/12/2008 : 15:41:36
Nice to hear from you Aasa - Thanks and Best Wishes,
Janet
Aasa Posted - 01/12/2008 : 01:47:53
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Aasa[/i]
[br]Love you guys,
Aasa

even though I know that most of you have not passed Heavy Metals 101, all the best to you all the same, Aasa
Aasa Posted - 01/12/2008 : 01:37:29
Love you guys,
Aasa
Janet Posted - 01/11/2008 : 13:24:56
Thanks for your replies Jenny and Laura - more food for thought.

I hold a copy of an assessment report - On last page titled 'Distribution' is a short list of those who were also given copies following the ASD diagnoses including GP and Health Visitor.
Due to the report I can prove this information once existed on record and my child was diagnosed with "autism"/brain damage in 2001.
laura_c_a Posted - 01/10/2008 : 23:44:35
The problem with the Data Protection Act, is that it does guarantee complete disclosure. Unless you know the document exists, it's very difficult to prove it ever existed in the first place. I know from experience - I've tried. When I told the PCT that I didn't believe it had disclosed all the relevant paper work, I was asked exactly which paper work did I have in mind? Even when I managed to pin down on specifics, it was claimed that the paperwork had either gone missing, for example, when the written paper versions had been transfered onto digital or more probably been destroyed. At one point the PCT even claimed ignorance and on another that the record didn't exist.

No disrespect to the Information Commissioner - the organisation is doing great work under the circumstances - but it simply does not have the power to issue any real effective enforcement or action for breaches of the Data Protection Act. When I managed to prove a breach of the Data Protection, I received a pseudo-apology from the PCT. I could have taken it further, but it wasn't worth the hassle, for which the PCT would have been fined and the fine paid with tax-payers money. I would not be any better off and worse, no closer to finding the truth.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place springs to mind.
jennyr Posted - 01/10/2008 : 22:54:12
Did you try to access the notes under the Data Protection Act, ie: what is known as a Subject Access Request (I think)?

Under the Act, those who hold information about you or your children are required to supply it to you if you request it BY LAW! It's worth checking out the Data Commissioner's website (do a google) as full details are given. Information can only be withheld on certain conditions - by law!! Of course, in practice, I am sure those pesky medico-legal complaints departments in hospitals - so busy, experienced and well funded!! - continue to shred the relevant documents as they have always done - if they think they can get away with it. But there is now a law in place which allows you to access you child's medical records. There is no reason for those hospital medical complaints departments, funded by the taxpayer, to be above the law - after all, they are supposed to be providing a responsible, professional service to the public, funded by the public...
Janet Posted - 01/10/2008 : 13:14:02
Thank you Laura, its some comfort to know I am not the only one.
My former GP was desperate to get rid of any evidence and this was the next attempt after the first failed.
laura_c_a Posted - 01/10/2008 : 10:44:06
Janet,

I ditto your experience concerning medical files but to date, can offer no solution. We are still waiting.

Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page