JABS Forum
JABS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 JABS Forum
 News and Comment
 Fight to prove deafness caused by MMR Vaccines

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GUS THE FUSS Posted - 03/06/2007 : 13:18:08
PARENTS FIGHT TO PROVE GIRL LEFT DEAF BY MMR VACCINE

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149212&command=displayContent&sourceNode=200378&home=yes&more_nodeId1=149215&contentPK=16809219
ANDY PHILIP

08:50 - 06 March 2007
A Schoolgirl from the north-east is at the centre of a legal battle to prove that her deafness is linked to a form of the controversial MMR triple vaccine.

Katie Stephen, 16, became ill and suffered a severe fever just 10 days after she was administered an early form of the vaccine as a toddler in 1991.

The Aberdeenshire youngster lost the hearing in her left ear following the alleged reaction, which showed similarities to the brain disease encephalitis.

Katie's parents, Wendy and Alistair, of Carron Terrace, Stonehaven, joined a group litigation against the drug companies that manufactured the particular vaccine, which included the Urabe strain of mumps and was first used on children in 1988.

A bad reaction can involve swelling of the brain, the lining of the brain or the spinal cord, which can lead to brain damage, deafness or death.

Yesterday, the family's fight became more determined after documents released under freedom-of-information legislation indicated that the UK Government had been aware of the health risks associated with the vaccine but continued to use it.

The vaccine was blamed for the deaths of several children after eventually being withdrawn by the Department of Health in 1992.

More recent forms of the vaccine have been at the centre of a separate row over alleged links to autism, prompting some parents to refuse to allow it to be administered to their children.

Katie, a fifth-year pupil at Mackie Academy at Stonehaven, became aware of her parents' fight to prove a link to the vaccine only as she neared the end of primary school.

She spoke yesterday for the first time about the battle she and her family have gone through and about how she has learned to live with her partial deafness.

"It's always been there but it's become more a part of my life as I grow up," she said.

"When I thought about going to high school, I began to worry and it started to dawn on me how it would affect me."

Doctors said the nerve between her brain and left ear was "totally shot" and could not be repaired.

This has left her unable to cope with noisy situations and she becomes disorientated in busy public places.

Katie said: "When there's background noise I can't pick out individual sounds or what people are saying. It makes it harder for me to be involved in discussions.

"I have a group of friends who make it easier for me and help me understand but when I'm out shopping I get lost in the noise.

"It can get quite awkward. People don't like it when I ask them to repeat something."

Despite the lifelong affliction, she is determined to pursue a career in musical theatre and has contacted a union that helps disabled people.

She said her initial feelings of coming to terms with her partial deafness are turning to anger as the lengthy legal challenge steps up.

"I feel quite angry when I think about it," Katie said. "It shouldn't have happened to me.

"But also I think about the amount of effort my mum's put into this, going to London because of court dates. It shouldn't have happened to her either."

Her 49-year-old mother is due back in court this month as the MMR litigation inches forward another step in the case against drug company Smith Kline and French Laboratories, as it was known at the time.

Mrs Stephen said she had considered giving up the fight but vowed to continue for the sake of her daughter and other affected families.

She said: "This should not have happened to my daughter. I used to try and tell her it was just an accident but now I don't.

"It can't happen to anyone now - the vaccine is different - but it was quite obvious to me what happened then.

"She was a healthy baby. She was given the injection and 10 days later was seriously ill."

Katie's older sister, Emma, 25, was given earlier individual injections and suffers no hearing problems. Younger sister Anna, 10, was not given any injection against mumps, measles or rubella.

More than 2,000 parents, the vast majority from England, have joined the MMR litigation since around 1997.

Many children of families alleging links with the strain have severe physical disabilities and in some cases they use wheelchairs.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jabsadmin Posted - 01/02/2013 : 00:19:03
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-17509/Why-Japan-banned-MMR-vaccine.html

Why Japan banned MMR vaccine

by JENNY HOPE, Daily Mail

Published in 2000

Japan stopped using the MMR vaccine seven years ago - virtually the only developed nation to turn its back on the jab.

Government health chiefs claim a four-year experiment with it has had serious financial and human costs.

Of the 3,969 medical compensation claims relating to vaccines in the last 30 years, a quarter had been made by those badly affected by the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, they say.

The triple jab was banned in Japan in 1993 after 1.8 million children had been given two types of MMR and a record number developed non-viral meningitis and other adverse reactions.

Official figures show there were three deaths while eight children were left with permanent handicaps ranging from damaged hearing and blindness to loss of control of limbs.

The government reconsidered using MMR in 1999 but decided it was safer to keep the ban and continue using individual vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella.

The British Department of Health said Japan had used a type of MMR which included a strain of mumps vaccine that had particular problems and was discontinued in the UK because of safety concerns.

The Japanese government realised there was a problem with MMR soon after its introduction in April 1989 when vaccination was compulsory. Parents who refused had to pay a small fine.

An analysis of vaccinations over a three-month period showed one in every 900 children was experiencing problems. This was over 2,000 times higher than the expected rate of one child in every 100,000 to 200,000.

The ministry switched to another MMR vaccine in October 1991 but the incidence was still high with one in 1,755 children affected. No separate record has been kept of claims involving autism.

Tests on the spinal fluid of 125 children affected were carried out to see if the vaccine had got into the children's nervous systems. They found one confirmed case and two further suspected cases.

In 1993, after a public outcry fuelled by worries over the flu vaccine, the government dropped the requirement for children to be vaccinated against measles or rubella.

Dr Hiroki Nakatani, director of the Infectious Disease Division at Japan's Ministry of Health and Welfare said that giving individual vaccines cost twice as much as MMR 'but we believe it is worth it'.

In some areas parents have to pay, while in others health authorities foot the bill.

However, he admitted the MMR scare has left its mark. With vaccination rates low, there have been measles outbreaks which have claimed 94 lives in the last five years.

jabsadmin Posted - 09/06/2012 : 09:45:27
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/profile/Dominic-Kennedy

The Times

5 September 2012

MMR vaccine caused children’s deafness

A rogue strain of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine caused deafness in children, the Government has admitted. Katie Stephen, 21, who lost the use of her left ear days after being inoculated, is the first known victim to prove her case to the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit.......
jabsadmin Posted - 09/06/2012 : 09:39:55
http://topnews.ae/content/212891-vaccination-injury-victim-refused-compensation-dwp

5/9/2012

Vaccination Injury Victim Refused Compensation by DWP

Vaccinations are given to prevent diseases but what if in reverse they result in some another problem to an individual? To make it clear, recently it has been claimed that vaccine that is given to avoid a rogue damage of measles, mumps and rubella, in future can result into deafness in at least two children.

Katie Stephen, 21-year-old girl, was vaccinated for the same in her childhood and a few days back she reported the loss of her left ear drum. Now she no more is able to feel or recognize any kind of sound from this ear.

However, she is the first known victim to prove her case to the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit. But her bad luck is that the unit has refused to pay her the payout of £120,000 against the vaccine injury.

According to Times, such payouts are given by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) only to those individuals who are 60% disable. In her case, single-sided deafness means 20% disablement.

As reported by the paper, another victim was also there who lost both his ears after being vaccinated for these three illnesses. He was given the entire compensation for it.
jabsadmin Posted - 09/06/2012 : 09:21:45
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/vaccine-linked-to-deafness-cases-16206825.html

Belfast Telegraph

5/9/2012

Vaccine linked to deafness casesA rogue strain of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine has been proven to have caused deafness in at least two children, it has been claimed.

Katie Stephen, who lost the use of her left ear days after being inoculated as a child, is reportedly the first known victim to prove her case to the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit.

But the 21-year-old has been refused the £120,000 payout for vaccine injury because it is only given to people with 60% disablement, according to the Times. The measure used by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to decide payouts defines single-sided deafness as 20% disablement.

It comes after a second victim, who lost hearing in both ears, received compensation in a previous case, the paper said.

Miss Stephen's mother Wendy told the Times: "She wasn't born this way. This was done to her by the Department of Health. They distributed pamphlets arguing that this was the right thing to do for your child and not just that but the right thing to do for herd immunity in the UK against these three illnesses."

Paul Breckell, chief executive of Action on Hearing Loss, said: "We are disappointed that the formula used by the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit does not fully recognise the impact for Katie in completely losing the hearing in her left ear."

Miss Stephen, from Stonehaven, in Aberdeenshire, was 15 months old when she was given the inoculation in 1991. A health visitor recorded hearing problems at 18 months old, although previous tests had been normal, and in 1996 she was diagnosed with deafness.

According to the Times, her medical records show that she was deafened by an MMR jab using the rogue Urabe strain of mumps, which was given to 5.4 million British children between 1988 and 1992. In total, 10 cases of deafness after the jab were formally recorded at the time, the paper said.

An academic study found that the cause of deafness in six of those cases was unknown but MMR was a possibility, it added. Four of the suspect cases had single-sided deafness.

The Department of Health (DoH) stressed the importance of the MMR vaccine and said it had saved many lives. Director of Immunisation Professor David Salisbury said: "Uptake rates for the MMR vaccine are at their highest level for 10 years and it is the best way to protect children against all three infections."

jabsadmin Posted - 09/06/2012 : 09:19:20
http://www.healthcare-today.co.uk/news/mmr-vaccine-caused-deafness/22655/

MMR vaccine 'caused deafness'
5TH SEPTEMBER 2012

A woman who proved she was made deaf in one ear after receiving the MMR jab as a child has had her injury compensation refused by the Vaccine Damages Payment Unit.

Katie Stephen became deaf in her left ear after she was given the jab as a 15-month old in 1991. She was deemed not to be eligible for the £120,000 payout because the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) only pays if a vaccine causes 60% or higher levels of disability.

The DWP's definition of deafness in one ear is a 20% level of disablement. A person who went deaf in both ears after receiving the jab did receive compensation in a case brought prior to Ms Stephen's claim.

Paul Breckell, chief executive of Action on Hearing Loss, said: "We are disappointed that the formula used by the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit does not fully recognise the impact for Katie in completely losing the hearing in her left ear."

According to the Times, Ms Stephen's medical records showed she received a "rogue" jab for the Urabe type of mumps, which 5.4 million children in Britain were given between 1988-1992.

It said there were 10 cases of deafness which were "formally recorded" following the jab.

Director of Immunisation Professor David Salisbury said: "It is important that parents get their child vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella - all of which are highly infectious."

"Uptake rates for the MMR vaccine are at their highest level for 10 years and it is the best way to protect children against all three infections."
jabsadmin Posted - 09/06/2012 : 09:13:08
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9521728/Rogue-strain-of-MMR-vaccine-caused-deafness.html

Telegraph

5 September 2012

Rogue strain of MMR vaccine 'caused deafness'

A rogue strain of the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella has been found to have caused deafness in at least two children, it has been claimed.Katie Stephen, who lost the use of her left ear days after being inoculated as a child, is reportedly the first known victim to prove her case to the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit.

But the 21-year-old has been refused the £120,000 payout for vaccine injury because it is only given to people with 60% disablement.

The measure used by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to decide payouts defines single-sided deafness as 20% disablement.

It comes after a second victim, who lost hearing in both ears, received compensation in a previous case, the paper said.

Miss Stephen's mother Wendy said: "She wasn't born this way. This was done to her by the Department of Health. They distributed pamphlets arguing that this was the right thing to do for your child and not just that but the right thing to do for herd immunity in the UK against these three illnesses."

Miss Stephen, from Stonehaven, in Aberdeenshire, was 15 months old when she was given the inoculation in 1991.

A health visitor recorded hearing problems at 18 months old, although previous tests had been normal, and in 1996 she was diagnosed with deafness.

According to The Times newspaper, her medical records show that she was deafened by an MMR jab using the rogue Urabe strain of mumps, which was given to 5.4 million British children between 1988 and 1992.

In total, 10 cases of deafness after the jab were formally recorded at the time, the paper said.

An academic study found that the cause of deafness in six of those cases was unknown but MMR was a possibility, it added. Four of the suspect cases had single-sided deafness.

Asked why the industrial injuries measure was being used on vaccine-damaged children, a SWP spokeswoman said: "This is not in regulations - it was considered at the inception of the scheme that disablement should be assessed as a percentage similar to the system as applied in the War Pensions and Industrial Injuries Schemes."

She added: "The payments were set at the same level as the Industrial Injuries Benefit and does provide financial support to those eligible.

"Those who are eligible for this help may also be eligible for other support from the benefits system."

The Department of Health (DoH) stressed the importance of the MMR vaccine and said it had saved many lives.

Director of Immunisation Professor David Salisbury said: "It is important that parents get their child vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella - all of which are highly infectious.

"Uptake rates for the MMR vaccine are at their highest level for 10 years and it is the best way to protect children against all three infections."
jabsadmin Posted - 08/19/2012 : 12:59:04
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2190391/Panel-rules-MMR-jab-girl-deaf--payout.html

Mail on Sunday

18th August 2012

Panel rules MMR jab made girl deaf - but not enough for payout

By MAIL ON SUNDAY REPORTER

A woman has won her fight to prove she was left deaf by the MMR jab – only the second time it has been linked to disability.

But a medical assessment panel ruled Katie Stephen, 21, will not receive compensation because she is not considered disabled enough.

Katie was given the measles, mumps and rubella jab in 1991 when she was 15 months old. But she developed a fever and irreparable damage to the nerve between her brain and ear, and is deaf on her left side.

Officials at the Vaccine Damage Payment Unit accepted the vaccine was the likely cause of her hearing problems.

But the body, run by the Department for Work and Pensions, ruled out compensation as she was only ‘20 per cent disabled’.

Katie, of Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, said: ‘If my disability can be cast aside so easily, why have I suffered so many difficulties in my life as a consequence? This has put me in a negative place.’

She was part of a group action. However, her case was never heard because the lawyers only pursued cases involving children with autism.

An alleged link with the condition has since been discredited.

The family is now involved in a new group action being brought by Blacks Solicitors, pursuing their ex-lawyers for professional negligence.

A spokesman for the DWP would not comment on the case.

informed Posted - 03/02/2012 : 14:34:22
http://www.rxlist.com/neomycin-sulfate-drug.htm

Please see possible side effects from neomycin one of the ingredients in the MMR vaccine.

It is also an ingredient in the single doses of measles,mumps, & rubella
vaccines.

Mairéad
informed Posted - 03/02/2012 : 14:18:31
Regarding the cases of deafness following vaccination with the MMR vaccine.

The consent for the MMR vaccine NOW asks is your child allergic to neomycin?

In 1994 as far as I know this question was not on the consent form.

I don't think parents today nor in 1994 would know if their child/children are allergic to neomycin which CAN cause deafness or a rare type of epilepsy /mental retardation/skin problems.

Mairéad

P.S.
I will send you a link re: neomycin

jabsadmin Posted - 02/29/2012 : 22:10:34
http://nbjour.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/three-young-people-from-the-same-danish-town-have-all-suffered-loss-of-hearing-in-the-aftermath-of-mmr-vaccination/

THREE YOUNG PEOPLE FROM THE SAME DANISH TOWN HAVE ALL SUFFERED LOSS OF HEARING IN THE AFTERMATH OF MMR-VACCINATION

February 27, 2012

THREE YOUNG PEOPLE FROM THE SAME DANISH TOWN HAVE ALL SUFFERED LOSS OF HEARING IN THE AFTERMATH OF MMR-VACCINATION

By Ulla Danielsen, journalist, DK-Copenhagen

NEW VERSION

Three young Danes, all of them from the same town of Randers in Eastern Jutland have suffered a loss of hearing in the aftermath of an MMR vaccination. One of them is completely deaf.

But the youngsters have more than this in common:

None of the three cases were, as required by Danish law, reported to the authorities as post-vaccination adverse effects to their MMR vaccination.

In addition to date, none of them has received financial compensation for their handicap.

KARINA HVASS

The eldest of the three, Karina Hvass, is 27-year old and living in Randers. She tried to seek compensation in 2010. But, Karina learned the hard way that the authorities considered her case “outdated”. It was beyond the statute of limitations for bringing such cases, and accordingly the authorities refused to consider it.

It is outdated simply because more than 20 years have passed since she suffered her severe loss of hearing. She describes her ability to hear as comparable to that of an old woman. To date the authorities have refused to consider that the start of the clock on her limitations to bring her claim should have been delayed until 2006 when the medical authorities first acknowledged, that nerve deafness is a rare secondary adverse effect caused by a child’s being given an MMR inoculation.

Since 2006, nerve deafness has been added to the package insert to the MMR-vaccine. But, according to the Danish authorities, Karina Hvass should have known better than the authorities many years ago and acted on her vaccination complication, when she was still a child.

The authorities have taken this position in spite of the fact that, on four separate occasions, Karina’s mother, Mette Hvass, had suggested to the medical doctors that her daughters’s acquired loss of hearing might have been caused by the MMR-vaccine. However, instead of praising Mette Hvass for her logical deductive reasoning she was rebuffed and told that her deductions were not supported by the accepted medical science.

Given the vehement rejection of the mother’s concerns, Karina Hvass, trained as a social worker who is accustomed to reading law texts, asserts that, given the medical establishment’s refusal to recognize her mother’s MMR-related causal concerns for her daughter’s deafness, the only sensible and fair thing to do would be to count her right to seek compensation from 2006, the year that Danish society officially recognized nerve deafness as a side effect to the MMR vaccine.

However, the National Board of Industrial Injuries has, thus far, failed to recognize the fundamental unfairness of requiring an injured child’s parent to seek compensation for any possible vaccination-related injuries when the injury appears to have started to occur even in cases where the medical authorities are telling the parent that the vaccine could not have caused – or did not cause – the injury.

JANNICK JAKOBSEN

The second of the young people from Randers is Jannick Jakobsen. He is 22 years old and completely deaf.

When he was 18-months old, Jannick was inoculated with the MMR-vaccine. Immediately after the inoculation, he developed a high fever and became ill. Shortly after this, Jannick began to have trouble hearing, but his loss of hearing was not confirmed until he was two years old and needed a hearing-aid.

Right from the beginning Jannick’s mother was convinced that her son’s loss of hearing was caused by an adverse reaction to her son’s MMR vaccination.

However, her son’s medical doctors again rejected this possibility and refused to report her son’s hearing loss as a post-MMR-vaccination complication.

CHRISTINE ISAK

Christine Isak is 21 years old and, like her two suffering friends, she is also fromRanders. She has a moderate-to-severe loss of hearing.

Christine was inoculated against MMR when she was 18 months and her loss of hearing occurred immediately after she was inoculated. After her vaccination her language development also ceased. Her loss of hearing was also confirmed when Christine was two-years old.

Her parents tried to discuss the possibility that Christine’s hearing loss was caused by her MMR vaccination with her medical doctor, but the doctor refused to recognize that possibility and did not report Christine’s post-MMR-vaccination hearing loss to the authorities.

Because her MMR-vaccination-caused hearing loss was not reported to the authorities when she was a child, Christine has received no financial compensation.

SINCE 1980 DANISH LAW HAS REQUIRED THAT ALL

VACCINATION COMPLICATIONS MUST BE REPORTED

The handling of the three cases from Randers by the medical officials involved did not comply with what is required by the law.

Since 1980, Danish law has required medical authorities to report all post-vaccination complications to the authorities. This requirement was confirmed by an article in the Danish daily FYENS STIFTSTIDENDE published on March 28 in the 2000.

Doris Irene Stenver, a staff specialist at the Danish Medicines Agency and Anne Marie Plesner a staff specialist at National Board of Health of Denmark were the authors of the article in question.

Since they are both experts in Danish vaccinations issues, these two medical doctors are well-acquainted with the legal requirements governing the reporting of post-vaccination adverse reactions.

Further, from March 1, 2012, the Danish Medicines Agency will cease to exist and it will become a sub-department of National Board of Health of Denmark.

The reconstituted board is going to be headed by Else Smith, a medical doctor who, before joining the National Board of Health of Denmark, held a position at Danish vaccine manufacturer Statens Serum Institut (SSI).

It remains to be seen what actions, if any, this national board will take to ensure that all post-vaccination adverse reactions are reported as well as, if any, what penalties will be given to those doctors who, since 1980, have failed to comply with the applicable Danish law?

Furthermore it remains to be seen how the National Board of Health of Denmark will handle all those doctors who continue to refuse to file such post-vaccination-related adverse reaction reports?

Hopefully the public will encourage the National Board of Industrial Injuries to reconsider its “statute of limitations” position in light of the medical doctors’ illegal actions.

All those children deafened by their post-vaccination reaction to the MMR vaccine, who were similarly deprived of a fair hearing by the doctor’s refusal to file the proper report, ought to be granted the right to pursue compensation.

This could happen by resetting their timeliness clock to start on January 1, 2007.

JABS Forum © JABS 2009 Go To Top Of Page