News and Comment
 MMR victim awarded $43.1 million
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

john

United Kingdom
608 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  19:56:16  Show Profile  Visit john's Homepage  Send john an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It can kill and maim, but somehow not cause autism?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14982718.htm
Boy awarded $43.1 million
The 7-year-old’s settlement comes under a national vaccine compensation program.
By JULIUS A. KARASH
The Kansas City Star
National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
In what is thought to be one of the largest such settlements ever, a quadriplegic boy has been awarded $43.1 million under a government vaccine injury program.
Seven-year-old Mario Arturo Rodriguez, who once lived in Kansas City and received a vaccination at Children’s Mercy Hospital, will receive the money under a settlement reached this week through the no-fault National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Mario’s case alleged that he became a quadriplegic after receiving a measles, mumps and rubella vaccine at Children’s Mercy Hospital’s pediatric clinic on Jan. 25, 2000.
The hospital was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. Under the guidelines of the program, the litigation was filed against the Department of Health and Human Services.
Kansas City attorney Leland Dempsey, who represented Mario, said Thursday that it was his understanding that the settlement was one of the biggest ever reached under the program.
“One unusual aspect of the case is that Mario is expected to have a normal lifespan, and therefore will require more years of care that will cost more money,” Dempsey said. “He will need round-the-clock care, including extensive medical intervention, throughout his life.”
Dempsey said the money will be paid over Mario’s lifetime, probably beginning with about $2 million this year. The boy lives with his mother in Oak Harbor, Wash., he said.
Bill Hall, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services in Washington, said Thursday that he was not familiar with the case and therefore could not comment.
According to statistics on the department’s Web site, www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation, in fiscal year 2006 the fund paid out a total of $38.2 million in cases involving 47 awards.
The program was established in 1988 to ensure an adequate supply of vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs and establish an accessible forum for those injured by vaccines. A small percentage of children have serious reactions to vaccinations.
Dempsey emphasized that Mario’s injuries are highly unusual and that parents should not hesitate to get their children immunized against diseases.
“I can’t imagine that anyone would refrain from getting their child immunized,” Dempsey said. “It would be irresponsible.”

Confused

27 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  21:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to be quite an important settlement. To what extent have the press picked up on - aside from the local press in the US?

I found the following, which is a 2005 opinion relating to the case:

http://www.attorneyaccess.net/documents/Rodriguez-Merow.pdf

According to this opinion, the condition in question is transverse myelitis/quadriparesis.

Clearly, whatever one believes about the desirability or otherwise of the MMR, the US system has its advantages. Yes, it's saying that it is desirable for children to receive the MMR, but it is also accepting that in a very small number of cases there can be disastrous consequences.
Go to Top of Page

john

United Kingdom
608 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  21:44:39  Show Profile  Visit john's Homepage  Send john an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused

Clearly, whatever one believes about the desirability or otherwise of the MMR, the US system has its advantages. Yes, it's saying that it is desirable for children to receive the MMR, but it is also accepting that in a very small number of cases there can be disastrous consequences.
Yes, it is better, but only 1-5% of injuries get reported, and there isn't of shred of evidence vax played any part in reducing measles deaths, let alone any research to prove it is a good thing to suppress measles, while the vitamin C cure for measles has been ignored for 50 years, along with the real reasons for measles death decline.

Edited by - john on 07/07/2006 21:46:19
Go to Top of Page

umpujv

13 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  12:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“I can’t imagine that anyone would refrain from getting their child immunized,” Dempsey said. “It would be irresponsible.”
------------

Yes, being a QUADRIPLEGIC FOR LIFE sounds much much better.....

i wonder if the parents wish they could go back 6 years and if given a choice of risking measles, mumps & rubella (which is harmless for boys BTW) OR having their son in a wheelchair needing 24/7 care for the next 70 yrs which "responsible" option they would choose?
Go to Top of Page

John Stone

United Kingdom
1254 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  13:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not even a rational risk since if anything does go wrong governments, pharma and medical profession will line up to deny it, or even foist the blame on the parent. Even a $43 m settlement - the unusual case - is only arrived after years of traumatic litigation - and if anyone thinks this is the end of the matter, even in this case, they have another thing coming.
Go to Top of Page

john

United Kingdom
608 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  18:11:22  Show Profile  Visit john's Homepage  Send john an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know of one case where they went back and changed the result in their favour, opening up all the wounds again. I wish I had kept a reference of that.

I collected some of the ways they try to avoid paying out http://www.whale.to/a/vaxvictims.html

a. Lose your medical records
b. rewrite the laws to avoid paying out and then pass the buck to the taxpayer:
b. change a medical definition to avoid liability,

or even decide to deny DPT vaccines cause serious brain damage by arranging to win a court hearing, even after paying out for 900 children in the UK alone over many years

c. Hiding vaccine deaths
d. Fight you all the way in court where few get compensated:
e. Buy up the vaccine experts so they are even less likely to lose in court:
f. Intimidate the experts
g. Use junk/fraudulent science to further avoid paying out:
Go to Top of Page

loui

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  18:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acknowledging there can be adverse reactions to vaccinations has to be more realistic than the British governments serial denial and pathetic Vaccine Damage Payment Scheme where the maximum payout is capped at £100,000.
Link to American Vaccine Injury Table
http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/table.htm
Link to Parliamentary Written Answers 16/06/06 on Vaccine Damage Payment statistics 2000-2006
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2006-06-16b.76172.h&s=speaker%3A10388
Go to Top of Page

john

United Kingdom
608 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  22:54:40  Show Profile  Visit john's Homepage  Send john an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Link to Parliamentary Written Answers 16/06/06 on Vaccine Damage Payment statistics 2000-2006
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2006-06-16b.76172.h&s=speaker%3A10388

Pathetic isn't quite the word. UK payouts are virtually nil, what a charade, and you can see how criminal the system is here when you see the USA payouts, and they only pay out 1 in 4, and the 4 is 1-4% of the real figure.

I don't know if we still have the 80% damaged limit, but that is or was satanic icing on the satanic cake. I'd love to know who dreamt that up and put it into practice.

theyworkforyou--now that's black humour!

Edited by - john on 07/09/2006 22:56:28
Go to Top of Page

hamcob

1 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  11:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im english, my son got tm from his mmr though only a paraplegic,but i am fighting an american firm merk ,in the british courts.lol.wish we could do it in america
Go to Top of Page

Joan

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  19:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This Litigation report surfaced again recently

Terms are outlined in $43 million settlement of quadriplegic's claims
by Rubella Vaccine News @ Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:40:53 -0800

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Office of Special Masters has filed a decision outlining the terms of a $43.1 million settlement of a claim that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine caused transverse myelitis/quadriparesis, rendering 7-year-old Mario Arturo Rodriguez quadriplegic (Claudia Rodriguez v. Secretary, No. 03-87V, Fed. Clms.; See July 2006, Page 4). Full story on lexis.com (Source: LexisNexis Mealey's Thimerosal & Vaccines Legal News)

1. Terms Are Outlined In $43 Million Settlement Of Quadriplegic's Claims, WASHINGTON, D.C. -, Mealey's Litigation Report: Thimerosal & Vaccines, February 2007, 5-8 Mealey's Litig. Rep. Thimerosal & Vacc. 10 (2007), Volume 5, Issue #8
Go to Top of Page

sunshine

2 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  16:22:14  Show Profile  Send sunshine an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by hamcob[/i]
[br]im english, my son got tm from his mmr though only a paraplegic,but i am fighting an american firm merk ,in the british courts.lol.wish we could do it in america

I also got TM after the MMR-vaccine. Nice if you could send me an e-mail to: mgarborg@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page