Home | Profile | Register | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JABS Forum
 Experience and Support
 Less risk with MMR at 5 years than 18 months?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fairy2010

5 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  16:14:22  Show Profile  Send fairy2010 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am faced with a dilemma now that the single mumphs vaccine has ceased. My son (2.5y) has only had 1 measles jab (nothing else) and my daughter had all singles at 2.5 and now needs them again as she starts school soon.

I truly do believe based on my laymans reading of information on the MMR and the tragic reports on here that some children have a terrible and tragic reaction to the MMR even if the orthodox medical profession just will not accept this.

Discussing this with my GP (I know - take all that is said with a pinch of salt) he seems to think that there are far less reported cases of reactions (for which include autism) for the MMR given at pre school age (just before 5 years) then when it is given at 18 months.

Can anyone please confirm if this is true? I seem to recall reading about a tragic report of a boy dying aged 9+ from the MMR (not ill before) so I am not sure if this is correct and that there is no difference depending on the age when the MMR is given.

I cannot being myself to give the MMR to my son (boys having higher risk of a reaction). Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could with him in respect of a programme of injections (even if these are very limited)?

Many thanks.

jabsadmin

1379 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  17:00:31  Show Profile  Visit jabsadmin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi fairy2010

I understand only too well your dilemma. However, your children are in a strong position as both have had the single measles vaccine and your daughter has had single injections for mumps and rubella.

With regard to your daughter: although the medical profession tend to refer to the MMR vaccine at pre-school age as a 'booster' vaccine it is actually a repeat of the same strength given as a toddler. It is offered to catch those children that missed it the first time and give a second opportunity to the 10% of children deemed not to have developed immunity the first time around.

The repeat doses for the individual vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella are offered for the same reason.

One option for you is to request a blood test to check for antibodies. You will probably have had a similar antibody test when you were about twelve weeks pregnant. In your case the test would have been to check for rubella antibodies as rubella can be hazardous to a developing foetus. Your family GP if he is supportive could arrange the antibody test for your children. Failing this we have a list of doctors/clinics that may be able to offer the test in a private capacity on our website. Here is a direct link:

http://www.jabs.org.uk/pages/single.asp

You are right when you state: 'I truly do believe based on my laymans reading of information on the MMR and the tragic reports on here that some children have a terrible and tragic reaction to the MMR even if the orthodox medical profession just will not accept this.'

Below is a link to some accounts that were reported in the press. Some of these children, including some children that died following MMR vaccines, have received awards from the Government's Vaccine Damage Payment Scheme:

http://www.jabs.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1186

If your GP looks into this, and I do hope that he does, he will soon realise that the low level of reporting adverse reactions doesn't just apply to the pre-school age group it goes right across the vaccination schedule as a whole. If adverse reactions are not reported properly and the limited number that are submitted are not investigated properly how can we have any accurate information on vaccine safety?

The vaccine manufacturers supply a patient information leaflet with every box of vaccines. This leaflet details the contents, contraindications and the adverse reactions from mild to severe/life-changing known to be associated with the product. Please ask your doctor for this leaflet every time you are considering any vaccine.

Here is a link to Merck's MMR Patient Information in case it is of interest:

http://www.jabs.org.uk/pages/mmrvaccine.asp

I hope this information helps.

Jabsadmin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page