Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

John Stone

United Kingdom
1254 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  21:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order to keep a tally on complaints it would be a good idea to forward complaints to me if possible, so I can let press know(JohnDanStone@googlemail.com). John Fletcher suggests people might like to post their complaints below for the general interest (keep it cool).

It is essential that anyone who was involved in the MMR litigation gives their attention to this notice

MMR JUDGE FAILED TO DISCLOSE HE WAS BROTHER OF Glaxo SmithKline DIRECTOR AND LANCET BOSS

Just three days ago I discovered while going over the records for 2004 that the judge, Mr Justice Davis (aka Sir Nigel Anthony Lamert Davis), who had dismissed the appeal over the removal of funding of the MMR litigation by the Legal Services Commission was the brother of Lancet proprietor (CEO Reed Elsevier) Crispin (Henry Lamert) Davis who at the time had also recently become a non-executive director of Glaxo SmithKline. Though this has not been reported in the media the following press announcement was issued by the judiciary yesterday afternoon:

"In 2003 Mr Justice Davis's brother was appointed as a Non-Executive Director of Glaxo SmithKline, a company which was formed as a result of a merger with Smith Kline Beecham. At the date of the hearing before Davis J, the possibility of any conflict of interest arising from his brother's position did not occur to him.

"If he was wrong, any possible remedy must be sought from the Court of Appeal."

Former litigants should complain without delay to the Office for Judicial Complaints, focussing on the GSK conflict. Clearly if the judge had said at the time that his brother was a director of GSK but he intended to hear the case anyway his decision would have been regarded with a great deal more scepticism:

http://www.judicialcomplaints.gov.uk/

They should also write without delay to their MPs, and they should contact anyone they know who was also party to the litigation, and draw their attention to this notice. It is very important that as many people do this as soon as possible.

People may like to note the sequence of events:

1) July 2003 Lancet proprietor Crispin Davis become a non-executive director of MMR manufacturer Glaxo SmithKline

2) February 20, 2004. The Lancet throws Andrew Wakefield to the wolves for tenuous reasons. He is dragged through the mud by the BBC, Sunday Times and the Government (including the PM) for four days.

3) February 27, 2004. Mr Justice Davis dismisses the litigants appeal for restitution of funding.

4) June 2004. Crispin Davis knighted by the Blair government.

These are honourable men, I am sure, but the facts need some further explanation.

John Stone

Edited by - John Stone on 05/15/2007 10:26:40

justsayno

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  22:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John - I don't know any one involved in the litigation but this is astonishing. I think you should tell Private Eye about this - they haven't had an MMR story for some time now but they would surely be interested.
Go to Top of Page

GUS THE FUSS

United Kingdom
1469 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  23:11:56  Show Profile  Visit GUS THE FUSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PUMPING JUMPING I KNOW AT LEAST 100.SEE YA! IN COURT MERK,GSK AND THE REST
Go to Top of Page

Joan

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  23:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks John for that information. I have been hoping that sooner or later the truth would spill out, this is what we need. Conflict of interest on Justice Davis's part and none on Dr Andrew Wakefield. Great but shocking news.
Go to Top of Page

Joan

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  00:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When filling out the complaints form info as follows

Mr Justice Davis

The Queen on the application of W (Claimant)
Versus
The Legal Services Commission (Defendant)

In the High Court of Justice Queen's Bench Division
The Administrative Court

Case no
CO/6911/2003
and held on
Friday 27th February 2004

Go to Top of Page

Seonaid

United Kingdom
1365 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  00:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This country is rotten to the core - not that we didn't know.
GSK & Co rule ok.
Time they were toppled.
Go to Top of Page

Seonaid

United Kingdom
1365 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  00:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to John Stone for this info and thanks Joan for details to fill in. Here is a direct link to complaints form.

http://www.judicialcomplaints.gov.uk/docs/complaints_form.doc
Go to Top of Page

laura_c_a

358 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judges are suppose to be whiter than white. Thank you for this information.
Go to Top of Page

Joan

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  00:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is what I said in my complaint

“I wish to point out that I was extremely shocked to find that Mr Justice Davis had a conflict of interests when he presided over the hearing regarding the MMR/MR group litigation in 2004. Predominately, the failure to disclose the fact that his brother was director of a company that the claimants were suing. His brother was also proprietor of the Lancet at the time, the journal which condemned Dr Andrew Wakefield in the same month February 2004. My son Jack Campbell never had Justice or his day in Court because the legal aid and the rights he was due were removed by Mr Justice Davis's decision”.
Go to Top of Page

GUS THE FUSS

United Kingdom
1469 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:40:41  Show Profile  Visit GUS THE FUSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote

YEP! HERES OUR COMPLAINT!!

We would like to report a conflict of interest in that one of your Judges did not disclose and complain of the conduct of Judge Mr Justice Davis (aka Sir Nigel Anthony Lamert Davis),
Records reveal for 2004 that the judge, Mr Justice Davis , who has dismissed my sons appeal for legal aid which I attended and gave our story and appeal in person ,the appeal was over the removal of funding of the MMR litigation by the Legal Services Commission Judge Davis was the brother of Lancet proprietor (CEO Reed Elsevier) Crispin (Henry Lamert) Davis who at the time had also recently become a non-executive director of Glaxo SmithKline.
"In 2003 Mr Justice Davis's brother was appointed as a Non-Executive Director of Glaxo SmithKline, a company which was formed as a result of a merger with Smith Kline Beecham. It seems convinient that "At the date of the hearing before Davis J, the possibility of any conflict of interest arising from his brother's position did not occur to him."
We find it very dubious that Judge Davis aware of such laws and the need to be lets say whiter than white,and careful ,would not realise this conflict of interest and would contest this stand he took,to say he was aware but lied.
This is the sequence of events at the time circulating/protecting this family business

1) July 2003 Lancet proprietor Crispin Davis become a non-executive director of MMR manufacturer Glaxo SmithKline

2) February 20, 2004. The Lancet throws Andrew Wakefield to the wolves for tenuous reasons. He is dragged through the mud by the BBC and Sunday Times for four days.

3) February 27, 2004. Mr Justice Davis dismisses the litigants appeal for restitution of funding.

4) June 2004. Crispin Davis knighted by the Blair government.
I could go on and shall ,we look forward to your reply .

My sons legal aid Legal Aid Certificate No.XXXXXXXXXXX
The decision of the LSC/FRC of October 2004 not to restore legal aid for the purpose of pursuing the MMR claim to trial (legal aid having been terminated in 2003 following the grant of legal aid many years previously for the purposes of this litigation).

Edited by - GUS THE FUSS on 05/07/2007 10:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Janet

429 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  03:43:37  Show Profile  Send Janet an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's reached the Teletext News Index, hope it stays for a while:-

MMR jab case: family in judge claim.

A family denied funding to seek compensation over the MMR jab claim the judge had a brother who worked for one of the drug firms concerned.

Aberdeenshire couple Wendy and Alistair Stephen were seeking compensation from the jab's maker in a claim concerning illness suffered by their children.

In a plea to the Office for Judicial Complaints they say Mr Justice Davis's brother worked for Glaxo SmithKline.
Go to Top of Page

GUS THE FUSS

United Kingdom
1469 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  10:28:13  Show Profile  Visit GUS THE FUSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CHEERS JOHN STONE NOW THE VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyA4ry3ialU
Go to Top of Page

GUS THE FUSS

United Kingdom
1469 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  10:36:46  Show Profile  Visit GUS THE FUSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=17263384&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

MMR LAWSUIT FAMILY CLAIMS JUDGE HAD CONFLICT OF INTEREST

LISETTE JOHNSTON

08:50 - 09 May 2007

A Family from Stonehaven that was denied funding to seek compensation over the controversial MMR triple vaccine has complained that the brother of the judge involved in the case worked for one of the drug companies concerned, it emerged last night.

Wendy and Alistair Stephen were among a number of people seeking compensation from the vaccine's manufacturer, Smith Kline and French Laboratories. The families were granted funding to seek compensation but it was then withdrawn by the Legal Services Commission.

Mr and Mrs Stephen successfully appealed the decision.

Other families also appealed the decision, but in the High Court in February 2004, Mr Justice Davis did not allow appeals by the families whose children suffered from autism spectrum disorder and inflammatory bowel disease.

This meant that the Stephens then lost their funding again because of a cost-benefit ruling by the LSC.

Now, Mr and Mrs Stephen, say they have formally complained to the Office for Judicial Complaints that Mr Justice Davis's brother held a post with GlaxoSmithKline, one of the three defendants in the MMR litigation.

The judge's brother is Sir Crispin Davis, who the Judicial Communications Office confirmed last night became a non-executive director of GlaxoSmithKline in July 2003.

Mr and Mrs Stephen's daughter, Katie, 16, fell ill with a fever 10 days after receiving an early form of the immunisation as a toddler in 1991.

They believe the vaccine, which included the urabe strain of mumps, was responsible for their daughter losing the hearing in her left ear.

A spokesman for the Judicial Communications Office said: "In 2003 Mr Justice Davis' brother was appointed as a non-executive director of GlaxoSmithKline, a company which was formed as a result of a merger with SmithKline Beecham.

"At the date of the hearing before Mr Justice Davis, the possibility of any conflict of interest arising from his brother's position did not occur to him. If he was wrong, any possible remedy must be sought from the Court of Appeal."

The lengthy court battle, which was launched in the 1990s, is due to call again later this month at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.

Katie said her partial deafness left her unable to cope with noisy situations and made her disorientated in busy public places.

The Stephens must now finance their daughter's court action.

Mrs Stephen said: "I have sent my complaint to the Office for Judicial Complaints."

Go to Top of Page

GUS THE FUSS

United Kingdom
1469 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  23:07:42  Show Profile  Visit GUS THE FUSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
London Evening Standard 09/05/2007

MMR judge faces probe over brother's link to vaccine firm

The Londoner's Diary, Evening Standard, May 9 2007.

You might have thought that a judge presented with a case regarding MMR vaccines and the link to autism would declare that his brother was a director of MMR vaccine manufacturer Glaxo SmithKline Beecham. But you would be wrong.

Sir Nigel Davis was the judge who, three years ago, rejected an appeal by MMR vaccine litigants against the decision not to award funding for their legal campaign. But he failed to mention his interests in the subject.

Now, complaints against him are being filed to the Office for Judicial Complaints, which investigates allegations of any questionable conduct by judges, coroners and magistrates.

Davis's brother, Sir Crispin Davis, was appointed a non-executive director of drugs multinational Glaxo Smith Kline in 2003, a year before the appeal came to court. Asked why Sir Nigel did not declare this, his spokesman said: "The possibility of any interest arising from his brother's position did not occur to him."

But Sir Crispin's potential links with MMR vaccines goes back longer than that, as since 1999 he had been CEO of Reed Elsevier, the publishing company which owns The Lancet magazine.

Although The Lancet had originally published research into the links between autism and MMR by Dr Andrew Wakefield in 1998, by 2004 the magazine regretted ever having done so. The Lancet had announced its change of heart only the week before Sir Nigel was due to make his decision on the MMR litigants' appeal, sparking a sudden backlash against the theory in the media, and prompting the Prime Minister to say "There is absolutely no evidence to support this link between MMRand autism".

The quashing of the MMR litigants case would have a huge relief to the government, who could have faced massive pay outs had they successfully sued the drugs companies over the effects of MMR.

Sir Crispin Davis was knighted by Blair's government in June 2004, only four after the Lancet article was published (sic).

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please also note that the "Daily Mail" for Wednesday 9th May has a short mention in the Ephraim Hardcastle column on p.17 as follows:-

"In 2004 a top judge, Mr Justice Davis, decided that parents worried about an autism link with the MMR vaccine could not have legal aid in their fight for compensation. Campaigners have now discovered that Justice Davis is the brother of Sir Crispin Davis. And who is he? Why, a director of pharmaceuticals giant GlaxoSmithKline - which is one of the makers of the MMR vaccine. Piccolo mundo* (in italics), as my Italian friends say."

I've tried (and failed) to find the Ephraim Hardcastle column on the internet version of the "Daily Mail". If anyone else can find the internet reference, please post underneath to correct me.

* Piccolo mundo = small world?
Go to Top of Page

Joan

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Joan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Elizabeth,

I wondered what he meant.

Can people try and get their MP on board about this please.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page