Experience and Support
 Rhogam shots and thimerosal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zoe

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  14:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Zoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Am trying to find out whether rhogam (anti-D) shots given to pregnant women in the UK who are rhesus negative still contain the preservative thimerosal?

A friend of mine who is rh- and pregnant has been told by her midwife that rhogam shots given to UK women do not and have never contained thimerosal.

The midwife has given details of the NHS supplier of rhogam shots as Bio Products Laboratory (www.bpl.co.uk) and the BPL rhogam patient information leaflet says this:

(as well as immunoglobulin) "the product also contains sodium chloride at the same strength as is normally found in your body, glycine to enhance stability and sodium acetate with a small quantity of sodium hydroxide to control acidity/alkalinity during manufacture"

Is it correct that rhogam shots in the UK have never contained thimerosal? If not, has thimerosal in rhogam shots now been phased out? Does anyone know when the phasing out began?

Thanks for your help.

Zoe

john

United Kingdom
608 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  13:49:11  Show Profile  Visit john's Homepage  Send john an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dunno, but I collected some Rhogram articles http://www.whale.to/a/rhogam_h.html
Go to Top of Page

Zoe

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  10:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Zoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John

Thanks for that link - some good information in there, although some of it is a little out of date. For example, Bayer no longer make a mercury free Rhogam shot - I rang them up about it and they referred me to Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, based in New Jersey. I havent been able to contact Ortho yet but if I find out any more, I will let you know so you can add it to your info.

Zoe
Go to Top of Page

Seonaid

United Kingdom
1367 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  12:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Zoe - is there anything at this site that might help? Loads of links. Haven't read them!

http://www.gfmer.ch/Guidelines/Pregnancy_newborn/Pregnancy_newborn_mt.htm#Rh%20isoimmunization

Scroll down to RH isoimmunization.
Go to Top of Page

Zoe

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  22:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Zoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for the thought - unfortunately there was nothing specifically on that site to denote whether UK anti-D injections have ever contained thimerosal.

I have had it confirmed yesterday by an independent (non NHS) midwife that none of the current anti-D preparations contain thimerosal.

I have a friend who is a Pharmacist who is also looking into it for me.

I find it hard to believe that we escaped thimerosal in anti-D jabs in the UK..........I guess I am just a conspiracy theorist........will keep digging

Zoe
Go to Top of Page

Zoe

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  12:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Zoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Update on anti-D research: I have had it confirmed from 3 sources now that anti-D shots in the UK have never contained thimerosal. One source was a rhesus neg pregnant Mum who did her own research, one source was an independent (non-NHS) midwife and one source was a friend who is a Pharmacist.

The supplier to the NHS at the moment (July 2007) appears to be Bio Products Laboratory and their information leaflet about anti-D shots is located at

www.bpl.co.uk/shared/downloads/frameset/frameset.asp?PDF=Anti-d

for anyone who want to check it out.

The US took thimerosal out of their anti-D shots in 2001 (info from a DAN! doctor).

Hopefully that will help anyone else who is looking!

Zoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Jabs - Justice, Awareness and Basic Support © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page